Sunday, August 19, 2007

Where it all started




Mum found this the other day when she was tidying. I made this denim and patchwork bag when I was 11 and it won a Highly Commended in the Cork Summer Show!!!Every single bit is handstitched and I remember clearly making it in school.I am delighted to have this to show to my kids. My great grandmother was from Kenmare and she was one of the famous lacemakers from there. A piece of lace( Tabernacle veil of Kenmare lace) that herself and her sister created is in the National Museum in Dublin.The description says -Needlepoint lace designed by one of the nuns and worked by the Misses Mary and Jane Leahy in 1911. I can feel a Layout coming on!!!!!
I sent the card below to a fab couple celebrating their 1st wedding anniversary - Orla and Brian.

2 comments:

Neasa said...

Fantastic that you still have your first "crafty" bit Ruth! That really is something to hang on to. Can't wait to see that l.o. and the card is lovely too. Any pics of the lacework?

Lainey said...

Welcome to bloggerville Ruthie!Love your patchwork bag - great to have it to pass on to the kids. Will look out for your Gran's lace next time I go there.
XX